KENOSHA COUNTY ⏤ A car struck and killed a Milwaukee woman on I-94 Monday after she had exited her car following a prior accident.
According to Kenosha County Sheriff’s Department Sgt. David Wright, deputies, detectives and the Somers Fire Department responded to the 2400 block of I-94 southbound near Somers at 7 p.m.
They were responding to a call for a serious multi-vehicle accident.
At the scene, crews found a 2003 Chevy Suburban with front-end damage. According to reports, that vehicle ⏤ driven by the 34-year-year-old Milwaukee woman ⏤ had crashed into the rear of a semi trailer. This happened in the far right lane of traffic heading southbound.
After that accident, the woman got out of her car, according to KCSD. A passing car struck her in the far left lane as she attempted to move across the interstate to the median.
Officials pronounced her dead at the scene.
Other drivers cooperating
No one else on the scene reported any injuries.
KCSD detectives determined a 2015 Chevy Traverse to be the vehicle that struck the woman. Officers identified the driver of the Traverse as also a 34-year-old woman from Milwaukee.
Police identified the driver of the semi as a 39-year-old Pewaukee man.
Deputies did not detect alcohol or drugs at the scene, and the drivers are cooperating with the investigation, the department stated in a release Tuesday morning.
The department is not naming the woman killed in Monday's accident, pending notification of her family.
The investigation is still active.
The department encourages anyone with information about the crash to call the county’s Detective Bureau at 262-605-5102.
Support the Observer
Around Our Site …
- Small Projects Relocation Plan on City Council agenda for displaced 16th Avenue homeowners August 2, 2021
- Kenosha History Center pays tribute to photojournalist Al Fredrickson July 30, 2021
- Inside the Mind of Daniel Thompson: ‘As long as my community is well fed’ July 30, 2021
- Highway H project for Kroger fulfillment center underway July 29, 2021
- Wednesdays at Public Craft Brewing (Around The Mics) July 28, 2021